[Gllug] hardware recommendations?

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Sun Mar 2 09:19:57 UTC 2003

At 02:07 02/03/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>1. Is an Intel P4 1.7Ghz really going to be that much better over a
>Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz?

Yes!  The onboard cache size for the Celeron is usually much lower.

>   Going for an Intel as I leave my box on all the time and
>I read the article about the tests with the AMD catching fire (don't
>want to burn my house down).

This is mostly misleading. If the article you're referring to is this one I
think you then, then that series of chips have long since been updated.  I
personally have two athlon processors, 1.3 and 1.4ghz - they have been
switched on constantly.

>2. Is a motherboard with onboard sound and network any good/work with
>Linux? I all ready have a good soundblaster sound card and 3com Nic.

Yes, assuming the chipset is supported.  If you already have a network card
and soundcard, try and buy a motherboard without them. Otherwise, disable
the onboard devices in the BIOS.

>5. Any particular RAM specifications I should be looking at?  Hoping to
>get 512Mb, I see there is cheap 512Mb for £55, doesn't give any specs
>though just PC133.

"Cheap" memory is rarely worth the price.  Crucial are currently selling a
512mb 168pin 133mhz module for 63ukp - it's worth spending the extra few
pounds.

Regards

Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/