[Gllug] Tape Device

Thomas Charles Robinson robinstc at ocean.com.au
Wed Mar 26 11:34:19 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 10:37, Neil Fryer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How do I check what dev my tape device is mapped to? As we have a new
> prebuilt box here, and I'm battling, as if I use dmesg, the only thing that
> seems likely to be the tape device is:
>
> scsi0 : cciss0
>   Vendor: COMPAQ    Model: SDX-400C          Rev: 3.0B
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02

If you log in as root and do 'lsmod' you may see the kernel modules for
scsi listed there. Usually scsi tapes need the 'st' module. This will
usually appear 'stacked' on the scsi controller module (unless that's
been built into the kernel). Do you know what make the scsi controller
is?

The 'st' module expects /dev/st* (auto-rewind) or /dev/nst*
(non-rewinding) as the device node for scsi tapes. If unsure try the
first one (/dev/st0) with the 'mt' command: e.g.

# mt -f /dev/st0 status

(see the man page for mt for more detail).

t.

Software entities are more complex for their size than perhaps any other
human construct because no two parts are alike. If they are, we make the
two similar parts into a subroutine -- open or closed. In this respect,
software systems differ profoundly from computers, buildings, or
automobiles, where repeated elements abound. - Fred Brooks, Jr.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk