[Gllug] OT hardware recommendations

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Mon Mar 10 08:04:23 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 22:35, George F. Saxby wrote:
> hi,
>

> On Sunday 09 March 2003 7:46 pm, you wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am building a new PC for my Dad  as he has decided it is time to upgrade
> > from the AMD K2 400 he is running at the moment, and am hoping for some
> > advice on the hardware.  I am going to install win2k on it aswell as Linux

Every year, Linux Journal publishes the specs for their Ultimate Linux
Box this year, and discusses why they have chosen certain parts.
Well worth a look. This year they actually went for 1TB of IDE disks,
rather than the usual SCSI.

If cost were no object in this project, I would also look at a dual CPU
motherboard for the video editing.
Also maybe a small graphics tablet - but that can be added later if your
father would use one.

I think a UPS would be well worth it - to even out power spikes if
nothing more. I have my systems on a Belkin power strip with surge
protection, and don't regret it.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk