[Gllug] Regarding priracy (sic)

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Mar 6 16:29:52 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 14:59, Doug Winter wrote:

> Taking your example - in capitalist societies you own land because you
> bought it from someone, and they bought it from someone and so forth.
> However, obviously at some point that land wasn't bought from someone
> since nobody owned it - it was just taken.  So in some senses, you "own"
> stolen property and really don't have any right to it at all.
>
> Claiming that you have "legitimate" ownership of a piece of land
> clearly depends just as much on socially accepted standards of
> ownership.  I don't think you could claim that even in the real world
> there is any "natural" notion of property as we tend to interpret it
> today.

"It is the land. You cannot own the land. The land owns you."
from 'Solid Ground' by Dougie MacLean,
drawing on the words of Chief Seattle's speech and letter to George
Washington.
http://www.barefootsworld.net/seattle.html

"The President in Washington sends word that he wishes to buy our land.
But how can you buy or sell the sky? the land? The idea is strange to
us. If we do not own the freshness of the air and the sparkle of the
water, how can you buy them? "

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk