[Gllug] Regarding priracy (sic)

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 13:09:07 UTC 2003

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:51:57AM +0000, chris.wareham wrote:
>
>>Now, can we get back to answering *technical* queries regarding Linux
>>and free software and perhaps setup an alternative Chat list for the
>>anarcho-student type wastes of bandwidth.
>

> It's an admirable aim but one that you are unlikely to achieve by adding
> your two pennorth and then telling everyone else to shut up.

I'm don't even think it's an admirable aim

this isn't just a technical list and discussions about copyright are
(IMO) well on topic for a Linux list

personally I think sayinmg copyright laws are good or bad is a
simplification

I think the length of copyright protection is too long (society as a
whole would benefit more from shorter copyright protection)

It is also tied very much to the issue of monopoly - big companies use
often illegal practises to protect thier own interests - and then
complain when ordinary folk break thier rules.

One of the really odd things is the way 'indusrty standard' software
depends on copying: if students didn't have dodgy copies of photoshop
they couldn't learn it and it wouldn't be standard, if office workers
didn't have dodgy copies of MS Office at home offices might choose to
use something cheaper to enable people to work at home ...

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk