FW: [Gllug] Networking SUSE and Windows

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sun May 18 21:36:02 UTC 2003

Tom Trainer wrote:

> Yes, I am running ICS on the Windows machine.  How do I set up DHCP on
> the Linux machine?

In SuSE 8.2, in YaST, it's "Network Devices", "Network Card", "Change",
select the required card (probably the only one), "Edit" and check
"Automatic address setup (via DHCP)".

I think it varies a bit in earlier releases - IIRC in 8.1 you start from
"Network - Basic". But it's generally fairly clear.

Of course it can be done by editing config files too, but with SuSE it's
generally best to use YaST if possible as it's easier and more
importantly it ensures that YaST will not subsequently decide to
overwrite the manually created configuration.

If this isn't clear tell us what SuSE release you have, I have access to
most recent ones.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk