FW: [Gllug] Networking SUSE and Windows

Tom Trainer tomtrainer at bigfoot.com
Sun May 18 16:10:47 UTC 2003

Thanks to everyone's suggestions I now know:

ping COMPAQ works (COMPAQ being the Windows machine, with the cable
modem internet connection);

ping DELL (from the Windows (Compaq) machine) doesn't work, but I do not
know if this matters.  I can ping the Dell using its IP address of
192.168.0.2;

ping smtp.blueyonder.co.uk works
ping www.blueyonder.co.uk doesn't

I cannot telnet one machine from the other as, in both cases, the
connection is refused by the other machine ("actively" refused,
according to Windows).

The following commands elicit these responses on the SUSE machine
(Dell):

telnet smtp.blueyonder.co.uk	- trying 195.188.53.60....Connection
timed out

telnet www.cnn.com		- Name or service not known

/etc/resolv.config		- No such file or directory

/etc/hosts				- Permission denied

dig blueyonder.co.uk		- <<>>; DiG 9.1.3 <<>> blueyonder.co uk
;; global options: printcmd ;; connection timed out; no servers could be
reached

ping www.blueyonder.co.uk	- unknown host www.blueyonder.co.uk

traceroute COMPAQ			- traceroute to COMPAQ
(62.30.173.86), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets 1 COMPAQ (62.30.173.86)
0.585 ms 0.681 ms 1.533 ms

traceroute -In COMPAQ		- traceroute to COMPAQ (62.30.173.86),
30 hops max, 40 byte packets Unable to bind to network interface n:
Invalid argument.

Trying to browse to http://216.239.33.100 results in "Timed out while
waiting to connect to http://216.239.33.100".

Trying to browse to www.blueyonder.co.uk results in "Unknown host
www.blueyonder.co.uk"

In summary, I can ping, but not telnet or dig or browse;
I do not appear to have permission to see etc/hosts and
etc/resolv.config does not exist;
Traceroute works, traceroute -In doesn't.

Anything else I might be doing wrong?