[Gllug] Partition Labels

Simon Faulkner simon at titanic.co.uk
Sun May 25 06:49:11 UTC 2003

Magic :-)

Thanks.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: gllug-admin at linux.co.uk [mailto:gllug-admin at linux.co.uk]On Behalf
Of Stuart Sears
Sent: 26 May 2003 00:05
To: gllug at linux.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Partition Labels

On Saturday 24 May 2003 1:09 am, I thought I heard Tethys say
> "Simon Faulkner" writes:
> >My boot cdrom idea was going well, but.
> >
> >I have a bbc credit card cdrom but this doesn't do ext3 :-(
>
> You shouldn't need it. You can always boot your existing RH
> install by passing appropriate arguments to the kernel, for
> example, something like the following is pretty much guaranteed
> to get you to a point where you can fix stuff:
>
> 	linux root=/dev/sda2 init=/bin/sh
>
> Obviously replace /dev/sda2 with the correct device for your
> root filesystem.
>
> Alternatively, you can use "linux rescue" at the prompt on
> your RH install disks.
>
> Tet
...which is the easiest way to deal with this actually -
1)boot using your install discs with "linux rescue" [your RH8 system will be
    mounted under /mnt/sysimage if you need it. You won't.]

2) find which partition is labelled '/' using
#  e2label /dev/hda2 (for example)
just change the number until you find the right partition. Personally I
would
write them all down to keep a record in case you have problems in the future

3) relabel the offending partition
#  e2label /dev/hda2 /oldroot (or whatever you wish)

then when you slap it into your new machine there will be no conflict, and
you
can mount it manually anywhere you like.
or add a new line to your /etc/fstab
LABEL=/oldroot	/mnt/oldroot	ext3		0   0
You may need to do the same with the /boot partitions, to ensure it uses the
correct one.
However this is about 5 minutes work in total.
changing it back is simplicity itself.
Alternatively do away with the label assignments entirely (which (IMHO) are
royal PITA) by editing your /etc/fstab to use the device nodes instead.

--
Stuart Sears RHCT (Registered Linux User #284465. LFS user #6416)
--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk