[Gllug] Nasty monitor - giveaway

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed May 14 15:55:30 UTC 2003

On Wed 14 May, Stephen Harker wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 May 2003 10:23 am, Tethys wrote:
> > David Damerell writes:
> > >I have a 17" monitor spare. While it will do decent refresh rates at
> > >1280x1024, the picture is quite fuzzy, so I don't think I can sensibly
> > >sell it.
> >
> > FYI, this is usually quite easy to fix. If the monitor doesn't have an
> > on screen gun alignment setting, then just take the case off and tweak
> > the alignment resistors.
>
> OK so I've got the lid off. Whereabouts would the alignment resistors be? On
> the main board or in the unit on the back of the tube?

   Beware of mains all around the PSU, up to about 3KV around the tube base,
25KV around the tube EHT connection, lots of power around the line scan/EHT
transformer, and lots of other ways of getting fingers burnt. Try a series
of gentle taps with a WELL insulated rod, you can often find a dry joint
faster that way than by the application of brain power. If you can find
something sensitive to tapping, switch off, disconnect from the mains, and
look carefully at the larger components in the area. The power supply can
stay charged for hours, the tube can stay charged for MONTHS and will
re-charge as the glass relaxes even after it has been discharged.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk