FW: [Gllug] Networking SUSE and Windows

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon May 26 20:24:39 UTC 2003

Tom Trainer wrote:

> I haven't made any progress, I'm afraid.
>
> I still can't figure out why I can ping smtp.blueyonder.co.uk, but when
> I try to ping www.blueyonder.co.uk, I get "unknown host
> www.blueyonder.co.uk".  I tried to view /etc/resolv.conf but could not
> get back to the prompt, and thought I was going to mess something up.

To get out of vi/vim/view, type a ":" to get to the command prompt and
then a "q" (followed by return). This won't let you quit if you have
changed anything; to force a quit and leave the original untouched use
"q!". Vi(m) is quite good at not letting you damage files by accident.

Resolv.conf is (or should be:) quite small, about 3-4 lines. So you can
just use cat so see it.

The results of:

cat /etc/resolv.conf
netstat -rn