[Gllug] Problem with looking up MX record

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Fri May 9 12:31:34 UTC 2003

Message from:-
Tim Clarke  (tim at seacon.co.uk)
Seacon Group Ltd / Seacon Terminals Ltd,
Tower Wharf, Northfleet, Kent, DA11 9BD, UK
Telephone: +44 (0)1474 320000
      Fax: +44 (0)1474 329946

Hi

I wonder if someone with more knowledge of DNS than me can enlighten me !

After about a week I received a bounce on the domain name 'justinfarr.co.uk'
- error message 4.1.2  to the effect that the domain could not be found.

Nslookup also 'hung' for a while and then returned nothing.

After trying 'set type=ANY' on nslookup I managed to get the name of a
nameserver, which upon setting server='nameserver' in nslookup and doing
another lookup, returned the required info.

I note that an email to a genuinely non-existent domain returns an error 5.1.2
rather than 4.1.2,  so I am wondering if there is some kind of problem with
my implementation of bind talking to the distant nameserver.

Any suggestions welcome, as it is rather annoying to find out after a week
that mail could not be delivered to a valid address due to some sort of
nameserver glitch !

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk