[Gllug] Pointy clicky remote filesystem browsing

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Sun May 18 09:36:28 UTC 2003

I find that Konqueror can act as a very good graphical ftp
manager/agent. Open your internet connection.
Assuming your website address is say www.annexia.org
fire up Konqueror and type:-
ftp://rich@ftp.annexia.org
into the address bar (Location:)
If all goes well should get a prompt for your password, and then be able
to view the files on your website.
Then fire up another Konqueror process which should open up your local
files on /home/username.
Then you should be navigate around the files on your home computer in
one window, and transfer them as required to your website by dragging
and dropping into the other window.
The same applies to machines on a local network, except then you type
ftp://192.168.1.10 in the address bar (whatever the network address of
the remote computer is, assuming static addresses).
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mark Preston

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 16:16, Richard Jones wrote:
 > Is there any sort of pointy-clicky way for users to browse & mount
 > remote filesystems under Linux (as there is under Windows)? I'm
 > looking for something which can be easily integrated into a small
 > network of computers running KDE on Linux.
If it is a trusted client machine, you can install linneighborhood
(might be one n), with smbmount setuid and you can browse and mount at
will :-)

Kind regards
Xander

http://www.merjis.com/