[Gllug] Redhat 9 and moving distribution: your experience

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Sun May 4 13:44:15 UTC 2003

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 02:23:38PM +0100, Anthony Chapman wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 12:46, Richard Turner wrote:
> > Except, of course, that one only has to compile once and then the binaries are
> > optimised forever
>
> ...provided you never change the software or the computer its running
> on.

The key to compiling Gentoo ebuilds IMHO is to nice the emerge so it
doesn't interfere too much with normal operations in the foreground.
Even so waiting for Red Hat or Debian to release the latest KDE 3.1.1a
or whatever binary is a lot longer than having the source compiling over
a day or several hours and most packages build in minutes rather than
hours.

I have just started building a heavily optimised Gentoo setup on my
Athon 2100 XP.  I will time how long it takes to do this roughly and let
people know what it is like stability wise etc.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk