[Gllug] How to install a Debian unstable package on a Debian testing/stable system

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu May 15 15:58:56 UTC 2003

Richard Jones wrote:
> I'm sure this is a FAQ, but it's not in the Debian FAQ anyway :-(
>
> I've got a working Debian/testing system, but I need a Debian/unstable
> package to be installed. Unfortunately this depends on several other
> unstable packages (perl >= 5.8 for a start).
>
> How can I configure APT to let me install this package & all the ones
> it needs, but only those? - I don't want to turn the whole system into
> an unstable one.
>
> Rich.

the best way may be to back port that package

I have only done this for one package but it was fairly simple

some of the instructions are here

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html

its the same idea as source rpms - but different scripts.

I managed to get the package I wanted without having to upgrade anything
else

many backports are already available ...

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk