[Gllug] Partition Labels

Simon Faulkner simon at titanic.co.uk
Fri May 23 17:24:08 UTC 2003

RH has a feature which is giving me a few problems.

When it auto partitions a disk during install it assigns a label (/ or /boot
etc) and then mounts the disk with this label rather than /dev/hda2 or
whatever.

But,  I have just build a new machine and wish to copy all the data from my
old hard disk to a directory (/oldharddisk) on my new PC (120 Gb HDD :-) so
that I have all the files just in case there is some vital file that I have
missed.  After 6 months or so I will delete the /oldharddisk partition
becauseif I havn't missed it by then I probably never will...

So,   I take the old hard disk from my old PC, jumper it as a slave, slap it
in my new PC and then it won't boot because there are 2 / labeled partitions
:-(

I am hoping not to reconfigure the old PC too much as I would like to have
it intact for a week or 2 as an emergency fall back just in case.

Is there a simple way around this problem?

I thought about burning a bootable emergency CD Rom, booting from that and
mounting both old and new hdds then copying - any probs with this I wonder?

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk