[Gllug] traffic shapping

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Tue May 27 08:05:42 UTC 2003

Leandro Stasi wrote:
> Still, why do you want to slow down the incomming traffic?
>
> Which traffic is enter you box that you don't want there?

Acording to the info at lartc.org sometime your upstream provider can have a
big buffer on incoming data which increases throughput (by ensuring a
constant supply of data) but really hurts latency and therefore interactive
sessions like ssh.  I was trying to limit the incoming data to a speed that
is just below my link speed in the hope of ensuring that th buffer never
gets filled and therefore my interactive traffic won't be as badly effected
when I'm doing big downloads.  I have no idea whether it will work on not
but I thought it was worth a try and I might learn something.  Problem is I
can't get it to work!

> If you want to slow down traffic that goes thru the box you have to
> shape the Internal ( LAN ) interface insted the DialUP.
> try this http://polip.sourceforge.net

I could shape traffic through the box but the box itself holds things like
squid and apt-proxy which means that they won't be effected which kind of
defeats the point.

> If you still want to stop traffic going to the box, it is call
> policing not shaping, which consist in droping packets as soon they
> enter the box according some rule.

I forgot the name policing when I wrote my original email and I thought that
people would get the idea from shaping.

I have a feeling that my problem might be related to the version of tc that
I am using so I'll give a newer version a try and see what happens.  Looking
at the lartc.org site and mailing lists that seems to be the only given
reason for the ingrees stuff failing (or at least the most commonly given
reason).

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service