[Gllug] cd rom access

Ian Norton bredroll at atari.org
Mon May 19 22:51:31 UTC 2003

ok, firstly, we can try it from the shell to see if things work

open up a terminal, type 'su' and press enter, type in your root password and hit enter,

then you can mount the device with the follwing,

    (if your cdrom is primary slave then it is hdb, if its secondary master its
     hdc, secondary slave hdd etc)

  ' mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom '

if that worked then you should be able to go into /mnt/cdrom and see your data
..

if that wasnt the device then try /dev/hdb -- /dev/hdd etc until it does,

then using a text editor (and as root) open up the file '/etc/fstab'

# fstab ##############################
/dev/hda1   /          ext3      defaults                         1 1
none        /proc      proc      defaults                         0 0
none        /dev/pts   devpts    mode=0620                        0 0
/dev/hda2	none	   swap	     exec,dev,suid,rw                 1 1
/dev/hdc    /mnt/cdrom iso9660   user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro 0 0
######################################

if you edit the line mentioning /mnt/cdrom in your one then if you found the
correct device change its /dev/cdrom or whatever it is to the correct one, if
instead of iso9660 it says 'auto' or 'supermount' then correct the device name,
save it and try again, if it still doesnt work then try it with iso9660 instead
of supermount.

i hope you are not too daunted by this

bredroll

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 10:24:23PM +0100, Mark Preston wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> What does the file /etc/fstab contain?
> If you can post the line that involves /mnt/cdrom to the list then this
> may help sort out your problems.
>
> Regards,
> Mark
>

> --