[Gllug] Hard disk fail

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat May 31 07:48:02 UTC 2003

On Fri 30 May, Mark Preston wrote:

> Hi  all,

> "Primary master hard disk fail"

   I have had problems with sufficient power not reaching the drive. On
several occasions this has been caused by a power splitter device in the
cable feed for additional cooling fans. I have also just repaired a small
power supply which was supplying low volts to some external drives, and was
amazed that it had ever worked becaused almost every joint looked perfect
but was completely dry. I am used to seeing rows of obviously dry joints on
all the large connectors and other components, but the dry joints are
normally obvious and do not need a powerful magnifying glass to see the gap
between the solder and the wire.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk