[Gllug] OT: MTU sizes, w/ Broadband

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Wed May 14 13:42:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 12:00, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Wed 14 May, Murray wrote:

perhaps it was a work around when many
> large but slow and simple chips were required, although few people
> understand the reasons now.
Well lots and lots of people understand ATM networking!

Probably more accurate to say that ATM uses fixed a fixed cell size.
This is a compromise between efficiency for data transfer, and
audio/video.
The fixed cell size makes it easy to build fast hardware based routing
switches - in an age where the state of the art for IP based routing was
software based switches. (I've no idea of the computational power of
Cisco switches of the time, but I'd guess they were something like
486es)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk