[Gllug] Nasty monitor - giveaway

Steve Nicholson yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com
Wed May 14 17:12:43 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 17:02, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> On May 14 2003, Stephen wrote:
> > >
> > > FYI, this is usually quite easy to fix. If the monitor doesn't have an
> > > on screen gun alignment setting, then just take the case off and tweak
> > > the alignment resistors.
> >
> > OK so I've got the lid off. Whereabouts would the alignment resistors be? On
> > the main board or in the unit on the back of the tube?
>
> Don't know for monitors, really, but on TVs they were usually on the
> main pcb, or on some small pcb linked to the pcb sitting on the CRT
> itself (if not even _on_ this one).
>
> Oh, and keep yer limbs at safe distance from the CRT grounding wire:
> 20kV+ stings. Badly. As a rule of thumb, if you don't know how to
> short-cut it safely, leave it off power for 24 hours before touching.

Don't worry too much about electric shocks, I think more people die a
year falling down their stairs than from electric shock, I could be
wrong you know what they say about statistics.  I have survived many
from EHT and 230Vac from TV etc and still alive to tell the tail, they
do give you a neat fright.

You will need the power on adjusting the focus pots so just take
precautions.
1. Only use insulated tools (at least only hold the insulated parts if
you don't have full insulated screw driver),
2. have someone standing by to switch things off and kick you out of the
way if you go into fibrillation,
3. have one hand behind you back while making adjustments (this prevents
you putting both hands across the potential hazards and getting stuck
there as you go into fibrillation).

I'm sure if you look on google there will be an article on where the
parts are that you need to adjust for your type of monitor.

HTH, have a shocking time;)
Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk