[Gllug] DTI/Government Open Source Software consultation

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu May 8 06:29:35 UTC 2003

On Thu 08 May, Alain Williams wrote:

> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 12:55:42AM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> > >
> > >    Favoured bidders may hear a whisper that a contract is being offered,
> > > others have to look for themselves.
> >
> > Ain't that always the way...
>
> No, the favoured bidder is the one that helped to write the tender document ...

   It can work both ways, I know of someone who had just been promoted to
the job which specified contracts who advertised a contract worth a few
million pounds, and was surprised to find that the intended contractor did
not see the advert. The preferred contractor had completed several previous
projects, and had gained valuable experience on what could or could not
work. The only bid came from an American company, the result being total
grief for several years until the money could be found to get the preferred
contractor to re-do the job.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk