[Gllug] help

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Tue May 20 21:31:29 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 21:35, Gary Pownall wrote:
> sorry about that. an errant click of the mouse.  does anyone know how to
> solve access issues I'm having with my cdroms.  They appear on the desktop
> but when i try to view the contents of a cd I get the message "can not read
> from /mnt/cdrom/."  I've tried to mount the drives as su but all I've
> succeed in doing is to make them disappear (and the floppy drive too) and
> yes i have disabled "supermount."
>
> Furthermore I get a "failed to read directory" when ever I try to get
> to/mnt/cdrom or  /dev/cdrom directories. help!!!

OK, we need to know what distribution and version (Red Hat, Mandrake or SuSE,
I figure, version...?) you are using, and which desktop. KDE or Gnome?

I don't know anything about supermount, so can't comment there.

Can you post the contents of /etc/fstab for us?

> Gary (a desperate Linux user of one week)

Welcome

> during bootup I see the lines scd0 (my cd-R) is write protected will...

That's maybe related, the fstab file will point us somewhere. Basically, CD
writers need to be emulated as scsi devices, hence s(csi)d0...

Dylan

--
Sweet moderation
Heart of this nation