[Gllug] DTI/Government Open Source Software consultation

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri May 16 21:36:33 UTC 2003

On Fri 16 May, Mick Farmer wrote:

> Dear Chris,
>
> This is very positive, but it's difficult to respond without
> knowing what points were raised earlier at the meeting.
>
> Is there a (government) site where we can see the various
> topics?  I don't want to re-state the obvious.

   I do not think that numerous people re-stating the obvious is such a bad
thing, commercial interests can afford to pay many people to disagree 24
hours a day.
   The meeting was to further test opinions on how future contracts for
research, development, and maintenance should be specified, how various
groups of contractors should be paid for or otherwise benefit from their
work, and conditions which should be applied for further exploitation or
development, when there is such a diversity of existing Open Source and
other software, and possible contractors including both large and small
commercial companies, universities, etc.

   The eEurope Action Plan is available at

http://europa.eu.int/comm/information_society/eeurope/documentation/index_en.htm

   The e-Government Interoperability Framework (e-GIF) is available at

http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/interoperability/egif.asp?order=title

   QinetiQ Report "Analysis of the Impact of Open Source Software" is
available at

http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/interoperability/egif_document.asp?docnum=430

   Further information from, and any comments or suggestions to

caroline.halcrow at e-envoy.gsi.gov.uk

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk