[Gllug] Stupid laws

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue May 6 12:44:42 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, 6 May 2003, Richard Turner wrote:
>Of Kristian Davies:
>>Probably, we have ELSPA and the publisher pays the fee's .
                                                        ^ yuck
>I think ELSPA is voluntary though isn't it?

Voluntary in the "we are going to let you set up a voluntary scheme of
your own free will, and if you don't we'll initiate state censorship"
sense.

This is not so bad because small publishers - and authors of free
software - can ignore the voluntary scheme.

[However, in the UK, games are subject to the attentions of the BBFC
if they depict (a) human sexual activity, or acts of force or
restraint associated with sexual activity, or (b) mutilation or
torture of, or other acts of gross violence towards, humans or
animals, or (c) human genital organs or urinary or excretory
functions, or (d) are likely to stimulate or encourage sex, violence,
or criminal activity.

But the BBFC say that 'Because most video games do not realistically
depict humans or animals, they are exempt' - implying, I suspect, that
only exceptionally realistic depictions are affected.]

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk