[Gllug] Nasty monitor - giveaway

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed May 14 15:41:00 UTC 2003

On Thu 15 May, Branden Faulls wrote:

> Tethys wrote:
> >

> > FYI, this is usually quite easy to fix. If the monitor doesn't have an
> > on screen gun alignment setting, then just take the case off and tweak
> > the alignment resistors.
> >

> This is unrelated but there appears to be some expertise here I could
> avail myself of...
>
> My Trinitron monitor "clicks" off when I turn it off in the morning. I
> turn it on and it cycles back and forth from on to standby then off.
> Sounds like a turn signal in the car.  Takes me a good twenty minutes
> till the thing will stay on, then it's fine for the rest of the day.
>
> Any thoughts?  Is it hardware or misconfigured XFree86 or a PEBCAK
> [Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard].  Is there a fix similar to
> the one mentioned above for this sort of problem?

   I have two 21 inch Belinea monitors which sometimes do silly things when
cold, especially if they have not been switched on for a while. In this case
the degauss circuits tend to drop in and out until they warm up.
   The degauss circuit on an ordinary TV relies on a pair of temperature
sensitive resistors, the one in series with the degauss coil goes high
resistance while the one in series with the rest of the circuit goes low
resistance as they warm up at switch on.
   The Belinea degauss circuit is relay switched every time the monitor
comes out of standby, but gets over-enthusiastic when cold.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk