[Gllug] Nasty monitor - giveaway

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed May 14 11:22:04 UTC 2003

On Wed 14 May, Alistair Mann wrote:

> Thus spaketh Tethys on Wednesday 14 May 2003 10:23 am:
> > David Damerell writes:
> > >I have a 17" monitor spare. While it will do decent refresh rates at
> > >1280x1024, the picture is quite fuzzy, so I don't think I can sensibly
> > >sell it.
> >
> > FYI, this is usually quite easy to fix. If the monitor doesn't have an
> > on screen gun alignment setting, then just take the case off and tweak
> > the alignment resistors.
>
> Looking for a place to stay in London, I kipped up at a young female work
> colleague's home for a couple weeks during the World Cup. Her TV was so badly
> focussed that one could only see coloured smudges on green instead of the
> games. While she was out, I did exactly the above getting back a very sharp
> picture.
>
> She was overjoyed; the TV had been 'fuzzy' for over two years, and that
> translated into many redeemable brownie points. Okay, not /strictly/ Linux,
> but it does have young women allured by technical prowess in it...
> - --
   I found an old Sony colour TV on the pavement over 20 years ago, washed
everything inside the case (except the speaker) in washing up liquid, hosed
it down with the garden hose, and left it in the summer sun for a month to
dry. It was out of focus, and the colour balance was awful, but I managed to
tweak it until it looked OK when warm. It was then used to test a newly
acquired picture tube rejuvenator, which reset the colour balance so I had
to reverse the tweaks. It is starting to get a bit sad again now, but I
suspect that there may soon be some major advances in domestic TVs, so I
will carry on using it until or unless there is anything really worth
watching.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk