[Gllug] Redhat 9 and moving distribution: your experience

Peter Adamson mewv29 at dsl.pipex.com
Sat May 3 09:35:50 UTC 2003

Sunny Chan wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> just wondering how's everybody finding the new Redhat 9 so far? I am
> considering the move from 7.2 to 9 for my home machines and just want
> an opinion on stability of the new Redhat? or shall I really take the
> plunge and move to Debian (my first choice) or SuSE? I have got a few
> stuff set up like dhcpd and DNS and other servers would the move from
> Redhat to Debian/SuSE be hard? any experience with moving distributions?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> +---------------------------+---------------------------------+
> |Sunny Chan MEng,ACGI      also Sunny Computer Laboratory     |
> |eBIT Java, IBM Hursley UK  |  "Power of Computing is yours"  |
> |http://www.ibm.com/java    | http://www.sunnycomputer.co.uk  |
> +-------------------------------------------------------------+
>    me at sunnychan.org.uk ICQ UIN: 2110678 mobile: 07887 704088

Went from Red hat 7.3 -> RH 9 by putting red hat 9 on a old hard disk,
preserving 7.3
Thank god I did!.

I saw the bluecurve interface and all I can say is that it looks like a
cartoon.
I'm sure its all very nice under the hood, but I didn't stick around.
I'm staying with 7.3, if it ain't broke.....

Having said that I like the idea of recompiling everything & having
every package optimized
for my athlon sounds nice, so I may switch to gentoo or something..

--Peter

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk