[Gllug] Finding filenames with special characters (was Mass renaming of files)

Simon Morris smorris at batesuk.com
Sun May 11 11:33:59 UTC 2003

>> There are also some directorys and files with no names! How am I>
>>supposed to find them???
>With no names ... this sounds unlikely. Valid Unix filenames have to
>be at least one character long. Do a 'ls -lb' of the offending
>directory and post it here.
>
>> It would probably be better to stop the OS allowing daft filenames like> these. Is that possible?
>Are these mounted by the clients using Samba or appleshare? If so then
>there might be a way to configure or patch these tools so that they
>refuse to create files with unusual names.
>
>Rich.

Well not quite a blank filename. This command was run on the volume mounted over NFS
from my Linux machine, but the datas on the IRIX box

[simon at wt-linux-01 clients]$ ls -lb | less
total 60
dr-xr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Aug 29  2001 \ \
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root           30 Oct 19  2000 3g
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root           30 Jun 23  1999 absolut
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root           49 Jan 11  2001 addis
dr-xr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 May 10 09:12 adshel
dr-xr-xr-x    3 root     root           76 May 10 09:12 allen.overy
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root     root           30 Sep 17  2001 allieddomecq

All good fun. The file was almost certainly written by a Mac. I work for a design
company and we are overrun with them :-)

IRIX does support ls -b BTW, and is also the most ackward UNIX to work on I have ever known.

The inability to backspace characters when typing commands is one particular niggle
--
Simon Morris <smorris at batesuk.com>
Bates UK

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk