[Gllug] Re: SMB server setup

rdrinkwater rdrinkwater at ego-computers.ltd.uk
Thu May 29 16:37:52 UTC 2003

Afternoon folks,

For our sins we are trying to set up a new server as a SMB server to a M$
network.

We have reached the point where passwords are not being accepted (ever) from
windows machines when trying to access the shares through network
neighborhood..

If we configure smb.conf to have "security = user" then the windows machine
will request a pasword (for \\<server>\IPC$, i.e. upfront) as soon as we
click on the name <server> (our mandrake 8.0 server) in the choice of
machines in network neighbourhood.

If we configure smb.conf to have "security = share" (i.e. password
authentication at the share level) then we can click on <server> (in network
neighborhood) and get a list of all the shares and, for each share set as
"guest ok = yes", we can access files view/alter etc. them.  For the
"Shares" with "guest ok = no" (the default) you cannot access the share
without the (windows machine) requesting a password.

This is all fine and as it should be - the PROBLEM IS: It always refuses to
accept the password.

The windows network computer name is "dickpc" but the "ENTER NETWORK
PASSWORD" window has a User name on that pc set to "dick" and password
("fred").  From the /var/log/samba/dickpc.log it appears the username (for
username/password use) IS dick.  We have set UNIX accounts on the SMB server
for dick, dickpc and DICK all with the same password ("fred") which is the
same as the password set on the windows pc but they are all rejected.

There must be something silly happening but we cannot see it.  We have tried
"password level = 8" in desperation (0 should be ok anyway as Unix password
for all accounts are in lower case).

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Regards

Leszek Zdunek
Roy Drinkwater