[Gllug] Star Office/ Open Office.org

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Nov 6 08:03:34 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, dylan at dylan.me.uk stated:
> On Wednesday 05 November 2003 15:15 pm, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>> The notable omission from OOo is a grammar checker.
>
> You mean a corporate style checker!

Quite. Good god that thing is useless; proof, if proof were needed, that
`grammar' checking by keyword match doesn't work.

Among the things it's decided are too long, clumsy, and unreadable:

- technical documentation
- professionally published fiction (it *really* hated that)
- Usenet posts
- academic papers

Just about the only thing I've found it *doesn't* complain about is
short memos written in baby-talk. (Corporatespeak gets complaints about
the passive voice --- what's wrong with the passive voice? --- and
overlong sentences.)

But then I guess that handling memos written in baby-talk is Word's
actual target market, so that's all right.

--
`Me, I want exploding spaceships and pulverized worlds and clashes of
 billion-year-old empires **and** competently written sentences.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk