[Gllug] TCP connections not closing

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Nov 11 00:05:30 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Richard Cottrill stated:

>>  Yes I'm aware about that, I've seen it before.
>>  What I don't get is why those particular connections are still hanging
>>  off when other ones have timed-out? And probably this is basic tcp stuff,
>>  but which machine sets the TTL, the web server or the client?
>
> TTL is an IP layer thing, so it's connectionless and set by whichever
> machine sends that particular packet; ie bot the client and websever
> will set TTL for 'their' packets.

TTL is part of ip_conntrack_proto_tcp, and is thoroughly *not*
connectionless :)

The table I quoted above shows that there are different timeouts for
connections in different states... the TCP-level timeouts are quite
different from the ones being printed here by iptstate.

--
`Me, I want exploding spaceships and pulverized worlds and clashes of
 billion-year-old empires *and* competently written sentences.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk