[Gllug] DNS woes

Simon Perry Simon.Perry at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Nov 4 16:08:16 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Norton"

> i added 'ns1.darkspace.org.uk' with ip xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa
> and 'ns2.darkspace.org.uk' ip xxx.yyy.zzz.aab

Yes their support and FAQ section leaves a lot to be desired...

The option " Create Name Server Host Records " only exists for gTLDs for
.co.uk you only get the option to "Modify Name Servers". If you want your
.co.uk domain to control its own DNS you have to add your nameserver
followed by a single space followed by your nameservers IP address. Like
this...

ns1.mydomain.co.uk 88.66.44.22
ns2.mydomain.co.uk 88.66.44.11

I got that far and had been able to use my DNS servers for other .co.uk
domains I host.

After a game of email tennis with ukreg support, who appear to try and think
as little as humanly possible it seems. I finally got an authorive answer
"We have added the nameservers to the top level Registries and you will now
be able to modify the domain successfully.  This is not an automated process
and has to be done manually for any .uk nameservers you create.".

I have now changed my .net nameservers without the ukreg system throwing an
error,  I am currently waiting for the update to trickle through to
internic.

Anyone got any idea how often they update their DB it has shown ">>> Last
update of whois database: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 06:25:40 EST <<<" all day?

Simon

PS Thanks to Martin and Luke, I expect Luke's advice that the convention is
to use gTLD nameservers is the reason that the option to create "Name server
host records" is missing from the ukreg admin section for .co.uk. Nice if
the explained things like that in their docs.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk