[Gllug] FLOSS

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Wed Nov 5 15:16:14 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:02:15 +0100 (CET)
John Hearns <john.hearns at clustervision.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Tethys wrote:
>
> > Interesting. I'd been wondering what had happened to Hollywood/Film Gimp.
> > Looks like this is the answer... In the process, they've gone from Film
> > Gimp's 16 bits per channel up to a staggering 32 bits (128 bits per pixel
> > for full RGBA). I can't off the top of my head think of a use for that
> > depth of colour, even to prevent rounding errors. It'll help when treating
> > greyscale images as RGB, but little else. I mean, it gives around 2 x
> > 10^22 times more colour data than the human eye can process. That's quite
> > a bit...
>
> Huw Lynes is of course the man to answer this question.

Well I have to say something now don't I. Although the previous replies from
Adam and Chris covered most of it. It all falls under the general heading of
High Dynamic Range. ILM's OpenEXR file-format being one very popular example.

a nice example
http://www.openexr.org/about.html

techinical gubbins
http://www.openexr.org/details.html

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk