[Gllug] Linux directory conventions

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Nov 10 14:19:04 UTC 2003

Bruce Richardson writes:

>> "The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by the system administrator when
>> installing software locally."
>
>It's a good place to put anything you run up yourself, like admin
>scripts or applications you compile from the original source (as opposed
>to compiling a source package into a binary package).

Nice theory, but in practice I find /usr/local to be unusable, so I use
/local instead. The reason is that I share my locally installed stuff
across several machines using NFS. Unfortunately, far too much third
party software[1] relies on root having write access to /usr/local (which
being NFS mounted, it naturally doesn't have on my desktop systems).

Tet

[1] To be more specific, stuff distributed as an RPM. I try to avoid
    installing anything from RPM these days except vendor updates,
    for this and several other reasons.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk