[Gllug] [OT] Building SCSI tower - a bit OT

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Tue Nov 18 22:37:43 UTC 2003

> AT or ATX?

Since it won't have a mainboard it doesn't really matter.

> I have some empty second-hand AT towers sitting here, and
> know
> where I can get new ones locally (North Acton/Park Royal). Make sure that
> you have the correct SCSI cable and terminator for the SCSI type.

What do you want for them?

What I think I need is a cable with 68f connectors and a PC slot plate
with a 68m connector. And a terminator.

I found this place http://www.tmcscsi.com/intCables.shtml
If you go to "Instant quote" click "68 conducter", you can choose PVC, TPE
and Teflon cables but it doesn't look like any of them can take more than
40Mb/s. Is that correct?

> You may
> need spacers for fitting small drives into large slots, extra cooling, and
> large PSU with extra power connectors. Beware of additional power lead
> splitters which can fail and cause loss of data.

If I just need it for a tape drive and a CD-RW I should be OK.

I might build one with four hard drives in it but I would think an extra
fan in addition to the PSU fan would be enough cooling. After all there is
no processor in it. Most PSUs has four power connectors.

Cheers
Henrik Morsing

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk