[Gllug] FLOSS

Pete Ryland pdr at accucard.com
Wed Nov 5 10:55:31 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 10:26:51AM +0000, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> And verily, didst Mark Preston announce to the hordes:
> > I thought that being daft was more or less de rigueur when it comes to
> > producing free software acronyms. How else do you remain serious when
> > explaining names that derive from amongst others a Red Indian, a garden
> > ornament, a dog, a wildebeest, a Brazilian dance, a comedy series and a
> > duck?
>
> You forgot the rubber bondage slave.

The GIMP? :-)  It's funny how successful commercial software often has very
generic names like "Word" and "Windows", whereas successful free software
has such quirky names.  Maybe it's just a co-incidence.

BTW, there's also the lizard, the sailing ship and the burning bird (all
browsers).

I think we'd better leave alone the codename for the latest MS Windows.

Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk