[Gllug] MS Access to Star office/open office

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 10:31:43 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:22:17AM +0000, kumara g wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wonder whether anyone of you have tried to migrate
> from MS Access database to open office or Star office.
> I have an importnat customer database in access with
> GUI which i want to migrate to open office or star
> office if possible, but i am not sure .
>
> Also i need to give multiple access to the MS access
> database to linux clients running a java application.I
> have written the java application which can access the
> MS access when the application sits on the same
> windows box,but not sure about accessing from the
> linux boxes.Does anyone have any idea ?

There are 2 issues:

1) The data. It is easy to extract this into another database (mysql/....)
   There are lots of tools to do this, browse the mysql web site.
2) The access forms/reports. There is nothing to automatically extract/translate
   these into something else. There are several projects which aim at this
   but none seem to be getting close to delivery (or moving very fast).

Your problem seems to be (1), I would extract the data and get the remaining
access users to connect to where the data is moved to.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk