[Gllug] problem with dns ?

bradut at bradut.com bradut at bradut.com
Thu Nov 13 16:34:56 UTC 2003

Hi everyone,

I was playing with a machine running Debian Woody. I've installed vsftpd
and uncomment the line related to ftp from /etc/inetd.conf, as per the
install document.
(ftp://vsftpd.beasts.org/users/cevans/untar/vsftpd-1.2.1/INSTALL)
I then did a /etc/init.d/inetd restart

Following this (or in the same time as) I cannot get to any site by
name, only by ip.

I've rebooted, put back the comment in front of ftp in /etc/inetd.conf,
to no avail.

Everything else seems to work as normal (I can still access my machine
via ssh, webserver serving ok... so makes me believe something is
screwed on the dns translation...)

any advice is most welcome.

Thanks,

Bradut