[Gllug] M$ "Bounty"

Dan Kolb dankolb at ox.compsoc.net
Fri Nov 7 12:01:29 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 11:41:40AM +0000, Alan Peery wrote:
> I am very glad that Microsoft has offered this bounty--it will disrupt
> the virus and worm writing community even if it doesn't directly catch
> anyone.

No it won't. The virus and worm writing community will just make a bit more of
an effort to cover their tracks - there will be just as many new viruses/worms
as there always have been.

>  From a business perspective, it's also a very wise move on their part.
> Good publicity, probably fewer worms to fight over the next few months...

Okay, it might be some good PR on their part, but they're basically trying to
fight the symptoms, not the cause. Their time would be better spent doing some
code audits, and fixing (potential) vulnerabilities.

Dan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk