[Gllug] No login to Debian 3.0r1 bf24 box

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 18:22:08 UTC 2003

On Tue 04 Nov, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:19:16AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> >    I assume that it is a permissions problem, but have not yet found any
> > configuration file in /etc which appears to be relevant and is different
> > from the same file on any other box. It will allow connection outwards to
> > another local box, connect to remote sites via the internet, and I have been
> > able to grab files, the Knoppix iso, and Debian updates. It is almost as
> > though /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny have been swapped. Any
> > suggestions please?   Thanks.
>
> Connecting *out* has nothing to do with the hosts_access files and isn't
> even done by the same program.  You connect out by running the telnet
> client but you serve incoming connections using the telnetd daemon.  On
> Debian, both are included in the telnet package but the telnetd daemon
> is not enabled by default.  The telnet daemon is called by inetd or
> xinetd so you need to add or enable the servive in the inetd or xinetd
> config file.
>
> But don't.  Use ssh instead.

   Thanks for the reply.

   All the Linux boxes are running ssh, but my Acorn RISC PC can only use
telnet, although even that has been able to connect to everything else in
the past. I have an ADSL box running NAT, followed by a Soothwall box, but
there is very little additional security on the internal network at present.
I am now looking to see whether any additional firewalling has been enabled.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk