[Gllug] Fetchmail from ISP

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Nov 21 11:45:00 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 11:13:30AM +0000, Jack wrote:
> * wendy carr <wendy_carr2003 at yahoo.co.uk> [031121 10:50]:
> > I've got a single email account with my ISP and
> > several users with user at xyz.co.uk.These user at xyz.co.uk
> > sre mapped in to the single ISP mail account.So when
> > retieving the mail from ISP pop server evryone is able
> > to see evryone elses mails.
> > I have fetchmail/IPOP3 running in my linux box
> > downloading the mails from the ISP.Still i cant find
> > any way to redistribute the mails only to correct
> > users.
>
> Apart from the other suggestions, fetchmail does support various kinds
> of multidrop mailboxes (see fetchmail(1)) although clearly without the
> envelope information from the SMTP server this doesn't always work
> perfectly.

It doesn't work at all unless the ISP's mailstore works exactly as
fetchmail wants.  Mailstores that support multidrop add a header to each
e-mail to show the intended recipient, like 'X-Real-To:'.  For fetchmail
to work, the recipient has to be specified as user at domain, where
"domain" is an acceptable local domain.  Some mail systems just put

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock