[Gllug] getting rid of keyboard error on boot

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Nov 20 09:03:14 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:05:11AM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, bradut wrote:
>
> > Also, is there a way to get rid of this keyboard error, to make a machine
> > start without a keyboard attached ?
> This is a BIOS setting.
>
> Actually, I used to work with some old Compaq desktops which
> wouldn't boot without a keyboard. The fix here is to keep
> some old broken keyboards, and take the electronic gus out of 'em.
>
> But any modern machine should have this as a BIOS setting -
> something like 'Stop on all but keyboard'

I've got an Intel mobo from around '98 or '99 which annoyingly doesn't
have this setting. And an Abit mobo from last year (now fried) which
apparently requires me to press a button on the board itself to boot
it; at least I couldn't find a way to wire up the front panel reset
button. Stupid designs both of them.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
MAKE+ is a sane replacement for GNU autoconf/automake. One script compiles,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk