[Gllug] [OT] Building SCSI tower - a bit OT

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 21:45:31 UTC 2003

On Tue 18 Nov, Henrik Morsing wrote:

> Being increasingly annoyed that SCSI towers don't come cheaper than £200
> for a two disk enclosure with a fast-SCSI interface, I was thinking about
> building one myself.
>
> Standard PC case - £50 - some sort of internal 7-connecter cable that ends
> in an external 68-pin connector - £20 - and you have a 7 disk SCSI
> enclosure.
>
> Is it that simple or have I missed something? Has anyone done this and can
> I get the cable I'm thinking of?
> Would there be any problem with Ultra2/LVD on a setup like this?
>
> Thanks for any input.
>
> Cheers
> Henrik Morsing
> morsing.cc

   AT or ATX? I have some empty second-hand AT towers sitting here, and know
where I can get new ones locally (North Acton/Park Royal). Make sure that
you have the correct SCSI cable and terminator for the SCSI type. You may
need spacers for fitting small drives into large slots, extra cooling, and a
large PSU with extra power connectors. Beware of additional power lead
splitters which can fail and cause loss of data.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk