[Gllug] Graphics cards + open source or contributed drivers?

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Wed Nov 12 16:15:47 UTC 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:08:19 +0000
itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 12:15:22PM +0000, Huw Lynes wrote:
> > Unless, of course, you need a full-spec visualisation machine. At which
> > point you really have no choice but to go with the closed drivers. And
> > they really aren't that unstable.
>
> My experience with Nvidia cards has been that the closed drivers are
> more prone to causing a complete X lockup (the kind where you just have
> to sync your discs and reboot).

That may well be the case, but the open-source drivers don't have the
capablities we need. As usual it's a question of compromise. We need the speed
and are willing to put up with a certain amount of flakiness in order to get
it.

We find that you are unlikely to uncover the Nvidia instability unless you are
throwing a lot of geometry through the drivers. I get an X lockup on my
machine maybe once a year whearas our 3D machines suffer more.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk