[Gllug] re: disk spin-up/down

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Nov 12 12:06:22 UTC 2003

On Wed 12 Nov, Richard Jones bloviated thus:

> I know it'll make the disk run longer, but I'll trade shorter life for
> a bit of peace and quiet. It's a Maxtor IDE drive and it has a really
> annoying high-pitched whine when it's spinning.

hdparm can adjust the acoustic setting on your drive.  My Maxtor drive
performs slightly less effectively but sounds a lot quieter when I set
it to "255".

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "If we suffer tamely a lawless attack upon our liberty,
  we encourage it, and involve others in our doom."
- Samuel Adams

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk