[Gllug] [OT] Largest mailbox EVER!

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Nov 19 12:59:22 UTC 2003

Rev Simon Rumble writes:

>> We don't all permit potentially dangerous content to run on our systems.
>
>HTML dangerous?  Methinks you might want to run a better browser/mail
>client browser component.

Your request is aimed in the wrong direction. Try the corporate world.
Yes, HTML is *dangerous* on Windows email clients that use IE as their
HTML rendering engine. It also has privacy implications with all of the
spam these days that has embedded HTML web bugs to track who has read a
particular message[1]. What's the statistical likelihood that a recipient
of your HTML message will be running Outlook on Windows? Pretty high,
I'd think...

>Your basic argument is that we should all stick to the lowest common
>denominator

Sorry can't resist (since Pete pulled me up on this not so long ago).
You mean highest common factor, not lowest common denominator :-)

Tet

[1] Indeed, Linux has the same problem. I've circumvented it by writing
    an LD_PRELOAD shim library for use with my MUA that intercepts
    connect(2), and fails with EACCES for AF_INET connections to non
	RFC1918 addresses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk