[Gllug] Voluntary work

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Sat Nov 15 10:48:43 UTC 2003

At 19:51 +0000 2003/11/14, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 09:14, Gordon Joly wrote:

> > Like I said above, maybe this will come later?
>
>Before or after Longhorn ships? This isn't an unlimited time game.

Good point.

>> Openoffice.org scored for me on the HTML output, and also the PDF that you mentioned.
>>
>> I am sold:-)
>
>Good. But don't believe that because it satisfies your requirements (and
>mine for that matter) that it's ready to replace MS Office on the desks
>of large numbers of non technical people. OpenOffice 1.1 comes pretty
>close, and I sincerely hope that by the time I move my office off Office
>97 it'll be there, but it's not all the way there yet. Try doing a mail
>merge in it sometime. MS Office has a substantially nicer interface
>there, and office workers use that sort of stuff all the time.
>
>Mike.

Yes, very true.

Yet I have yet to do my first mail merge. I have never had a requirement to do so. And I have been "computing" for 23 years....

So my requirements are very strange:-) After all, I started with Fortan 77 and Lisp 1.6.... and JCL on MVS.

Gordo

--
Linux User No. 256022///
http://pobox.com/~gordo/