[Gllug] re: 'djb warning'

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Nov 12 15:33:00 UTC 2003

"Simon A. Boggis" <simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 01:09, Rich Walker wrote:
>> "Simon A. Boggis" <simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk> writes:
> [snip]
>> I think that's "guaranteed" as in "no-one who complains gets out of here
>> alive", rather than "guaranteed" as in "there are no outstanding
>> release-critical bugs".
>
> Absolutely (:
>
> I rather got the impression that it was a case of "Works for Me (tm)",
> which is probably fine, but since more people run it in the "standard"
> [1] configuration, and I didn't actually give a hoot I took the safer
> option.

I was looking at the "daemontools" package, largely because I have an
NFS server that vanishes frequently, and I must admit I remembered why I
Don't Do Qmail...

>> > I've stuck with the latter, since the dns servers/caches are quite
>> > mission critical.
>>
>> So you use . . . leaves the discussion well alone . . .
>
> LOL .. indeed.
>
> My experience with our dnscache/tinydns setup is that it has worked well
> so far [2] for our (small) site - thus achieving a desirable low score
> on my Bother-O-Meter (:

I went with pdns and maradns. Maradns has easy-to-handle config files,
and just keeps running quietly. *Very* occasionally pdns goes mad, but I
think that is when it can't get access to nameservers and gets repeated
requests. It hasn't happened for some time (ever since I put more RAM in
the machine than the maximum working set of pdnsd, funnily enough :-> )

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk