[Gllug] Voluntary work

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Nov 11 23:48:01 UTC 2003

Craig Millar wrote:
> Does anyone know of any charity organisations that require any voluntary
> work done for them, in and around the London area but anywhere really
> that could be done remotely. I am thinking linux/win(doh!)s systems
> administration and java programming. I am not a guru in either field by
> any stretch of the imagination but feel that I do have something to
> contribute. I have attempted to find this sort of thing on the web, but
> have turned up mostly data entry and that sort of thing.  I admit, I am
> looking to gain some experience into the bargain, so my search is not
> entirely selfless, though of course it would have the added benefit of
> doing something for the greater good, and would hopefully be ongoing
> regardless of the path my career takes. Any comments and suggestions
> welcome, thanks.
> Craig

during a recent slow period I took on a couple of projects through

http://www.it4communities.org.uk/

they have some interesting work - and keeping active certainly helped me
at job interviews

But the actual projects never got completed - partly because I got a
full time job - and partly because of delays within one of the charities
that probably wouldn't have happened had I been sending them invoices.

I defintaley found the experience beneficial - but had my slow period
lasted longer I might well have started to get frustrated.

Interestingly it seems that many charities were looking for volunteers
not because they had no money - but because they simply didn't know how
to find a good contractor at reasonable rates.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk