[Gllug] Hard drive spindown

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Nov 6 14:08:51 UTC 2003

I went through a painful process of elimination, and finally found the
culprit: kdesktop. It polls $HOME/Desktop and a few other directories
every second (!) and thus updates the directory atime which bdflush
consequently writes out every 5 seconds.

There was a syscall added to Linux *ages* ago allowing you to get a
signal when a directory inode is updated. Come on KDE ...

I could set 'noatime' or 'nodiratime', but instead I'm just going to
get rid of KDE and go back to wmx instead.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
PTHRLIB is a library for writing small, efficient and fast servers in C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk